The popular Lismore Workers Masters Games has been postponed until next year due to the ongoing effects of the floods, as well as the continual poor weather conditions.
The 12th Lismore Workers Masters Games was to have been held from September 23-25 with participants and spectators coming from across the country.
Lismore City Council General Manager John Walker said the decision to postpone the games was made after consultation with various sporting organisations.
"It was a disappointing but necessary decision," he said."
"Not only did much of Council infrastructure that supports the Games, such as Oakes Oval and Albert Park, sustain significant damage from the two major floods, but many sporting organisations have been forced to focus on their own recovery.
"Add to this the ongoing rain which has only eased this week, sporting groups told us that they haven't had time to train and prepare for the games.
"The social and economic impact the event brings to Lismore is significant and I want to assure the community that the Masters Games will return next year, bigger and better."
The games were already postponed once during the state-wide COVID-19 lockdown last year.
"It was a tough decision to make but we believe it was the right decision. The health and safety of our community was at the forefront of our discussions," event organiser Matt Barlow said at the time.
"The economic impact the event brings to the region is significant so rather than cancel the event and look towards 2023, we have decided to postpone for 12 months. I would like to thank the sponsors, staff, committee and convenors for their efforts."
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.