Ballina mayor Sharon Cadwallader and leading business advocate Jane Laverty are among the eight local and technical experts appointed to the advisory board set to guide the Northern Rivers Reconstruction Corporation (NRRC).
In announcing the board today (Friday, August 5) Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional NSW Paul Toole said board members had the knowledge and practical skills needed to advise the NRRC.
The CEO of the Insurance Council of Australia, Andrew Hall, is also on the board.
"The board will advise on the flood recovery work already underway, providing on-the-ground feedback on the rebuild of large and complex infrastructure," Mr Toole said.
"We're not just building back for now - this is about future-proofing communities by ensuring they are better prepared for future disasters.
"The board will actively engage with the community to ensure their views are heard and implemented."
The NRRC is a statutory corporation created by the NSW Government to coordinate the planning, rebuilding and construction work of essential services, infrastructure and housing across the local government areas of Ballina, Byron, Kyogle, Tweed, Richmond Valley, Clarence Valley and Lismore.
The advisory board was due to meet for the first time today, and will provide strategic advice to guide delivery outcomes of the NRRC, headed by Chief Executive David Witherdin.
Much of the NRRC's focus will be driven by the recommendations from the independent flood inquiry, led by Professor Mary O'Kane and Michael Fuller, which is yet to be released by the State Government almost one week on from when it was delivered.
Members of the NRRC Advisory Board are:
1. Mr Gary Barnes, Chair, Secretary, Department Regional NSW
2. Mr Michael Cassel, Secretary, Department of Planning and Environment
3. Mr Peter Duncan, Commissioner and Deputy Chair, NSW Independent Planning Commission; Former CEO of Roads and Maritime Services
4. Mr Andrew Hall, CEO Insurance Council of Australia
5. Mr Darren Kershaw, Executive Chair, North Coast Aboriginal Development Alliance
6. Ms Jane Laverty, Regional Director Northern Rivers, Business NSW
7. Ms Sharon Cadwallader, Chair Northern Rivers Joint Organisation
8. Mr Michael Rayner, Former General Manager Tweed Shire Council, Tweed community member, Technical Expert.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.